Please be aware there is a known issue with images on the Community. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you need urgent help in the meantime, please reach out to technical support or your Threekit representative.

Creating a custom Material preview scene

Comments

4 comments

• adamgravois
    adamgravois

How do we set up a custom scene for developing materials? This is a followup to the problem I was trying to solve in this post, now with a better subject line:

I’ve got a custom default scene for testing materials. I want to put a custom model into it, but I only see how to add cubes, spheres, and "from shape” primitives. Is there a way to add a model I’ve imported?

Why a custom scene? The sphere is not an ideal test shape for many materials, and the default scene has a pronounced blue cast to the lighting environment. That’s a 50% gray matte material but it sure looks blue, doesn’t it?

Step one, the Model
    Pick a model that’s a better fit for the materials you’ll be developing.
    1A: In the LOGIC panel, create an Attribute of type Asset / Material. Name it "Asset”

As far as I can tell this won’t work unless you use the name "Asset” throughout.

1B: Create a new rule with Action: Set Material. Fill out the rule to set [mesh name] to attribute [attribute name]. Click "Done”

continued…

• adamgravois
    adamgravois

Step Two, the Scene
    Create a scene, add lighting to taste. (I like to use a simple HDRI with a big area light on one side, and an empty room elsewhere. Makes it easier to see how reflections work, how glancing-angle effects like fresnel falloff and sheen work.)

Add the model from step 1 to the Scene Objects. You can add more than one object, and not every object needs to get its material replaced. I like to use a "color calibration object” in the Scene to confirm my lighting is behaving as desired.

2A: In the LOGIC panel, create an Attribute of type Asset/Material, also named "Asset”

2B: Create a new rule with Action: Set Material. Set [model name(s)] to attribute [attribute name]. You can add more than one model to this rule, and it will override the material on all of them.

Don’t forget to click "Done”

continued…

• adamgravois
    adamgravois

Step Three, The STAGE

Create a new stage. ​(for whatever reason, stages are a separate category of thing from Assets, and don’t live in the Assets structure)

3A: Add an Attribute of type "Part Reference” and name it "Asset”. Leave the "values” field blank.

3B: Set Visualization > 3D Asset to the Scene asset you created in step 2

3C: Click "Save stage”

…almost done…

Step Four, Player Settings
    In the sidebar, navigate to Settings > Player

In "Default Stages”, set the Material slot to the name of the stage you created

Click "Save Settings” (very important, easy to overlook!)

• adamgravois
    adamgravois

And now, when you work on your materials, you’ll be doing with a model and lighting setup of your choice!

Please sign in to leave a comment.